Jennifer Aniston interviewed her hypnotherapist and life coach boyfriend, Jim Curtis on stage at New York City's 92NY on September 2 to discuss his new book, "The Book of Possibility".
Aniston told the crowd, "This is very, very exciting. It is quite an honor to be here, especially with you, Jim Curtis".
"It's quite a full circle moment to be back here with you, speaking of dodging balls. Have I completely embarrassed you?".
Jim responded, "Not yet. We're still on track here. First question please".
During the conversation, Jim reflected on the challenges he has faced in his personal life, from relationships to health issues. His journey ultimately took a serious turn when he was hospitalized after receiving a concerning diagnosis.
Curtis has lived with a limp since childhood as a result of lesions on his spinal cord. He said that when people questioned his walk, he would often tell them he had been injured in a motorcycle accident.
He tells, "I was so shameful that I had a medical condition, that I was broken in some way, that I thought that a motorcycle accident was at least a little macho, right? It's like this identity of the macho strong man".
"It didn't come with the connotation and shame of 'this could get worse' and 'should we hire you?' and that's what was thinking in my head".
"I overcame that with self-acceptance and self-love and it was a long journey in which I realized I could have done it quicker, and that's what this book is about."
Curtis made a lighthearted remark, referring to his work as a hypnotherapist, "People think like I'm 'look into my eyes' type of thing".
"Really what our conversations as a coach is is asking the right questions so people can understand themselves more… I'm lucky enough to have worked in finance. I'm lucky enough to have worked in media and the entrepreneurial companies, and so I can speak that language to that person in a way that isn't like 'believe in the source of love that you are, straight from the heavens.' That doesn't fly."


No comments:
Post a Comment